Friday, March 18, 2011

UPA scams: Does PM repeat himself?

UPA scams: Does PM repeat himself?

The following have been Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's responses when cornered to speak on the various scams that have hit the ruling party.
2G scam

In Rajya Sabha, Singh said he was categorically assured by A Raja “that the policy was being implemented appropriately with one departure which had been cleared by the Solicitor General”.

He said he was not in a position at that time to judge what Raja was doing, saying the former Telecom Minister's entry into the UPA Cabinet was part of 'coalition dharma'. He told news channel editors: “I did not feel I had the authority to object to Raja's entry although complaints were coming from some companies who were not benefitted and some who had not benefitted adequately.” Singh said in a coalition, there is a coalition dharma. “Obviously, things are not entirely what I would like them to be,” he said.


He told Parliament: “My government will co-operate with all agencies to probe the scams. I will be the last person to deny that unfortunate developments have taken place in the area of Telecom, in the area of Commonwealth Games. These concerns are being addressed.”

He said action had been taken against people whenever “credible evidence” was found.

He said, “Chief ministers have resigned; ministers have resigned; the CBI has been on the trail of wrongdoers and I assure the House there is nothing we will not do in order to clean our public life.” “If there is a scam, it must be dealt with,” he said, adding that “the law of the land will punish the wrongdoers”.

Appointment of P J Thomas as CVC

After the Supreme Court struck down Thomas' appointment as illegal, Manmohan Singh, who was the head of the panel that chose Thomas for the post, said: "I respect the judgement of the Supreme Court and I accept my responsibility."

"It is necessary to ensure that such things do not happen again," Singh said at a press conference.

The Prime Minister, thankfully, did not relate the issue to coalition compulsions.

He also said he was not aware of the criminal charges pending against Thomas, hinting PMO Minister Prithviraj Chauhan -- who cleared the names for consideration -- had not properly briefed him.

Later Chauhan too took responsibility, stating the Prime Minister's statement that he was not aware of the chargesheet against Thomas was “absolutely correct”.

Chauhan said: “I am responsible for selecting the three names who were to be considered for appointment as Chief Vigilance Commissioner. I knew him when Thomas was Secretary, Parliamentary Affairs. We were looking for sober people as the CVC’s job is very important. I take full responsibility. I have nothing to say after the Prime Minister has spoken in Parliament. All I can say is what he said was absolutely correct.”

2008 trust vote money-laundering

The Prime Minister has been cornered again by the Opposition on a Wikileaks cable which suggests the Congress might have bought votes to pass the 2008 confidence motion on the Indo-US nuclear deal.

Prime Minister Singh raised doubts over the veracity of the diplomatic correspondence, but insisted he had "not authorised anybody" to purchase votes nor was he involved in any such "transactions".

He said: "I think, people who are affected by them (Wikileaks expose), they have already commented on them, casting serious doubts about the veracity of allegations made in these diplomatic despatches. I have no knowledge of any such purchases and I am absolutely categorical, I have not authorised anyone to purchase any votes. I am not aware of any acts of purchase of votes. I am absolutely certain in asserting that I am not at all, I think, involved in any of these transactions."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Search This Blog