Monday, June 14, 2010

Imagine with 2.7 billion people, even databases like oracle fail.

I read this article with interest as I have been associated with RFID, etc. since the year 2000. (I hold 3 inventions (2 patent pending) in this domain). That year I invented a dedicated system for uniquely identifying remote locations, sensing the inventory levels, transmitting signals to a database and initiating actions. I believed what I had as a small device to help take JIT to Well in Time, became too big for my shoes. I applied for a patent and after 7 yeras, was granted it. 

In 2001, I approached Narayana Moorthy to join the RFID and inventory management venture but he could not appreciate the future potential. In 2004 I met Kris, the present chairman of Infosys. He did not believe that the Govt would free spectrum and allow RFID in. Nevertheless, they formed a JV with Dr. sanjay Sarma, my friend prof. at MIT in 2005-6 and 1n 2009, Nandan Nilekani joins a ministry with a miniscule Rs. 100 crore Rupee budget. 

Why?

The business case is quite different from the stated objective as given in the attached document. It is that in the West, the computing industry grew several hundred times after the introduction of things like the SSN. This has been stated by nandan's friend who has authered "The world is flat". It is expected that demand for computing in India and China  will far outstrip that in rest of the world.. 

Imagine with 2.7 billion people, even databases like oracle fail. Terradata may work for few years. Crazily giant database management systems, hardware at every nook, ubiquitous softwares and little chips in your soul..... this is bigger than what I thought it would become. So I am once again on the lookout for more VC funding. I already have one VC funded unit.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Search This Blog